Monday, May 4, 2015

What to like in movies

When thinking about favorite movies I consider movies I've watched over and over again as well as movies I've watched only a couple times, but had a deep impact.  Hard Candy for example.  I've only seen it two or three times and all times aside from the first it was to get other people to watch and to watch them watching it.  It's definitely worth watching.  But definitely not a family favorite or one I'd even watch again without cause.  I consider it a favor however, because the first time seeing it I couldn't believe what I was seeing, tackles some pretty serious stuff in an...unusual way.  I felt the thrill of the movie and frankly that's kind of rare, a lot of movies are fun, but not heart pounding.

On the flip side, speaking of fun, but not heart pounding I love the movie Clueless, it's been a favorite since high school, which was about a decade ago.  Still find it fun, think the humor is good, and that the writers approached LA high school with wit and charm.  I watch it whenever I need a pick me up.
Third category is nostalgia.  My family has been watching the Blues Brothers for as long as I can remember.  For a while we all had it basically memorized.  It's also one of the few, maybe only, movie(s) the whole family genuinely agreed on.  I guess that last part says something about the togetherness of my family.  Anyway, reminds me of childhood and how much I've grown up.  It's fun watching something from a later perspective.  Also, I think it still has my favorite chase scene ever, even though it's ludicrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment